Tuesday, March 25, 2014

JEEP!

        Remember when I said that I couldn't get my permit on my birthday, which was a Wednesday?  Well, I got it on Friday, 14th.  That's right - I am now the proud possessor of a permit! :D   ~ (Yay!) ~    It took Dad and I two trips after school to the DMV and several phone calls but I was finally able to take the test, scoring a 19/20.  And, despite my habit of cramming,  I still remember the information in the study manual.
       But - what good is a permit, if you can't drive?  Dad has graciously spent several hours with me already, practicing in his red, manual-transmission, 5 speed, jeep.  I've only stalled the car about 5 times so far and have only run up on one snowbank.  I'm making progress! :) 
        On the very 'furst' trip we all went together: Me, my Dad, and my little sister who had been just as eager to go as I was.  (I say had.  She has not volunteered to accompany me since then.)  Thankfully, although our house is on somewhat off a main road, we are very close to a decent network of practically deserted side streets.  Dad directed me around a certain loop ending back at our house.  When I parked the car in the driveway Dad said, "Now. Get out of the car and walk around it twice before getting back in."  I suppose he thought that I needed to calm down.  The second time we made the loop and parked Dad said, "This time, you get out and walk around the car again - and I'm coming with you!"  :)  At school the next morning Dad reported that he had felt himself aging during our practice time.   However, we are all still alive and I have made enough progress since then to drive us to church on Sundays!........ in Mom's car...........which is automatic.  :/   I guess a little more practice is needed in the jeep.  


No comments:

Post a Comment